Following Hacker, in 1792, came the noted border scout, Jesse Hughes, who with a companion, entered the valley from the French Creek region, on an Indian scout.
Out of his visit emerged the name Canoe Run and Indian Fork, as well as others.
As the outgrowth of these expeditions, Colonel George Jackson became interested in the region.
But all covering more territory than can herein be considered. Duvall, later mentioned, claims the honor of the first "improvement" near the present site Roanoke, having made a "settlement" in 1775 at the Indian House or Arnold Station. He later assigned this to Samuel Mc Intire, who sold it back later.
Duvall secured 800 acres in all, and 400 as assignee of Robert Burchett, near the mouth of Sand Fork.
In 1785, James Anderson and Samuel Hanway, secured 1000 acres in the valley below Canoe Run.
If you daydream in Roanoke, Va., when a stop light turns green, the drivers behind you will probably wait politely, without honking. Greenville proved too rustic for his tastes, and the high altitude of the Rocky Mountains he hiked near Denver left him breathing too hard for comfort. Schleifer typifies the many retirees in the Roanoke area who are well-traveled, have considered and sometimes tried other options, but settled on this leafy haven in southwest Virginia.
"They're just very nice small-town people," says Jerry Schleifer, age 82, who settled in Roanoke in 2004. Schleifer retired in 1992, after selling the downtown Miami camera shop he owned for 42 years. The natural setting is the most obvious attraction.
The Purchasing Division of the Finance Department is responsible for the centralized acquisition of goods, services, and construction for the County of Roanoke and serves as the purchasing agent for Roanoke County Public Schools for all items except construction.
The Purchasing Division also manages the disposition of Roanoke County surplus property.
The name of the first white man to visit the upper valley of the West Fork of the Monongahela is enshrouded in mystery.
Tradition associates it with the name of one Jacob Bush.
Again it is connected with the alleged visit of the "Three Frenchmen", connected by legend with Braddock's defeat, who fled through Upshur into this region, to bury British gold in the vicinity of the mouth of Canoe Run.
But to John Hacker, the first settler in Lewis County, belongs the first recorded visit that of a hunt into the headwaters section which resulted in the naming of several streams.