Ypres (in Flemish Ieper) is associated with some of the most bitter battles of the First World War, when the countryside around town became the site of major trench warfare, and the town itself was almost completely destroyed.
It has since been rebuilt according to the original plans.
The area all around Ypres was, in the four years of 1914 to 1918, the scene of some of the bloodiest battles of the First World War.
The dead are buried in 170 war cemeteries, and their graves are still visited by relatives.
From Ypres, Route 14-18 is signposted to the most important battle zones.
The original building was begun around 1260 and completed in 1304 but it was completely destroyed in the First World War.
The new structure is one of the finest and largest secular buildings in Europe.
The extent of the hall in which the cloth was stored, checked, and sold, is indicative of the power wielded by the guilds within the town.
An unmarked 63-kilometer tour through the battlefields begins at the Menin Gate.
Take road N345 and N332 heading northeast through one of the most hotly contested areas, past several British cemeteries and trench warfare battlefields for nine kilometers to view the major sites along the way to the village of Zonnebeke.