called the "Dursley Donkey" by locals, linking Dursley and Cam to the Bristol – Gloucester main line at Coaley Junction. Coaley Junction railway station was also closed at about this time.
However, in 1994 a new railway station called Cam and Dursley was opened on the main line, 330 yards north of the site of Coaley Junction.
In the 19th and 20th centuries, Dursley was a large-scale manufacturing town, and engines built here by the Lister stationary engine company were used around the world.
From then until 1974 it was the administrative centre of Dursley Rural District (RDC). The current bell tower, in an imposing Gothic survival style was built by Thomas Sumsion of Colerne in the years 1708–09.
The town has long been associated with the Seymour family, having been home to Sheriff Sir John Seymour in the 15th century and the 18th century politician Henry Seymour And is now the Home of Howard Jeans-Seymour 10th Great Grandson to Sheriff Sir John Seymour (died 1491).
The pillared market house, complete with statue of Queen Anne and bell turret, dates from 1738, when the town's markets attracted farmers and traders from miles around.
It is now maintained by the Dursley Town Trust who also look after Jacob's House and the Heritage Centre.
Dursley is a market town and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England.
It is under the northeast flank of Stinchcombe Hill, and about 3¾ miles (6 km) southeast of the River Severn.
The town is adjacent to Cam which, though a village, is a community in its own right. The modern building is largely of 14th and 15th century construction and carries the Tudor coat of arms on the outside of the building below the guttering, indicating that some of its construction was funded by the Tudor royals.
Dursley gained borough status in 1471 and lost it in 1886. The original church spire collapsed in January 1699 during a bell-ringing session, causing casualties.
It is now being developed as a large housing development with some industrial units.
Historically, other large factories based in the town included Mawdsley's, an electrical equipment manufacturer; Bymack's, an upholsterers; and the Bailey Newspaper Group, a newspaper printer, all of which have reduced or closed operations in recent years.
Ancient historical sites in the vicinity give evidence of earlier occupation.